eightbitmatt

Improving digital for a UK based charitable organisation.

A lack of budget, understanding, and executive support always makes support for digital initiatives a challenge for charities.  There are a number of reasons why charities are struggling to jump into the digital ship, or keep afloat when they do jump in. The ROI is very hard to quantify if you don’t understand what you’re looking for, and digital talent is incredibly expensive which makes finding the right person to head up your digital strategy very hard to come by.

I worked with a major UK charity to rectify the above issues by leading their website relaunch, improving their social media feed, and improving the donation online.

How?

The first challenge was the website, the window to the charity. It had been left unloved for years, I estimated with the technology of the back-end, front-end and the design it was at least 7 years old. Building the business case for the updates was not a problem, with a majority of technology now obsolete and a danger to people browsing. Something needed to change. 

I worked with an external IT department, who had access and the extra expertise to redesign the website. This was also the best option for the charity because it kept costs incredibly low.  I also took this opportunity to completely rejuvenate the website’s content, making it more friendly for SEO and better for potential volunteers and those who were likely to donate to navigate. 

Once the website was launched, I turned my attention to their social media. I put in place a set of guidelines, not just for the main headquarters of the charity but also the volunteers. The biggest asset to a charity is the people around the UK, and sometimes, even the world that makes the charity what it is.

With the volunteers support behind me, I was able to take the social media to the next level. The charity had barely touched all of their accounts, so I worked to source images, headed out to events, and made mini organic campaigns that the volunteers could get involved with. 

Results

The content and design improvements saw the websites bounce rate fall from just over 50% to just over 10%. Which is well below average, I also gave monthly reports to the executive of the charity to show the most important pieces of content on the website.

The social media also saw a massive improvement, with followers of the charity on Facebook and Twitter going from just over 600, to hitting 1,500 in my time there. The social media feeds are still growing using a lot of the techniques I brought into the charity and the Twitter alone is now just under 3,000 followers.